Psychiatry is the medical practice concerned with the study of the mind and the way it affects behaviour and wellbeing. A psychiatrist, a fully trained medical doctor, monitors illness on other physical conditions such as problems with the heart or high blood pressure.
As many mental illnesses or disorders can be effectively treated with specific drugs, much of the treatment may be based on medication management. Where medication alone is insufficient, a psychiatrist may suggest a combination of medication and psychotherapy or counselling to treat the mental illness.
Some of the more common psychiatric conditions include:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
- Sexual disorders
- Sleep disorders
Click on a practitioner to read their profile.
DR GARETH VINCENTI MBBS, LLB, DOccMed, FRCPsych
Gareth is an accredited specialist in adult and old age psychiatry and has held consultant and senior administrative posts in both the NHS and the private healthcare sectors. A law graduate with a diploma in occupational medicine, he now works in full time independent practice, providing occupational health assessments to a wide array of referring agencies and providing reports for courts and tribunals. He specializes in reports for personal injury, clinical negligence, employment tribunals and capacity assessments (including testamentary) and has a regular commitment with the multidisciplinary occupational health team at the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. He consults from The Tower Clinic in Leeds as well as Cleckheaton, Middlesbrough and Newcastle, occasionally seeing patients in London and Manchester.
All appointments are arranged through his PA, Jane on 01609 778730.
Dr Rob Baskind MBChB MRCPsych
Rob is a Consultant Psychiatrist holding an NHS Consultant post in Leeds since 2008. He has experience working in Acute, Community and Prison Mental Health settings. Accredited in Adult Psychiatry, Rob has developed a wealth of experience managing the most common mental health conditions including depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, personality disorder and psychosis. He has provided many expert legal reports for the courts.
Rob specialises in Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and has led a successful service in Leeds since 2011. He has a vast experience in the assessment and management of ADHD in the community and custodial settings. He also has been involved in numerous research projects and delivered teaching on Adult ADHD at national conferences to a variety of mental health professionals and criminal justice staff.
Rob provides private psychiatric assessments, including ADHD assessment and treatment at The Tower Clinic. If you wish to make an appointment call The Tower Clinic on 0113 2672067.
Dr David Protheroe MBChB, MMedSc, MD, MRCPsych
Dr. Protheroe qualified as a medical doctor in 1987 and has worked as a consultant psychiatrist in both the UK and Australia since 1998. He is accredited in General Adult Psychiatry and Liaison Psychiatry; working in both the general hospital setting for the NHS and Yorkshire Private Psychiatry Clinics. He is also an accredited Practitioner in EMDR, a specialised form of psychotherapy that can be used successfully to reprocess traumatic memories.
Dr. Protheroe sees patients aged 18-70 years. He works with BUPA, AXA PPP and other major insurance companies and self-funding patients. He treats a wide range of conditions and psychological problems including different forms of depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, psychological problems associated with physical illnesses and medically unexplained symptoms for example fibromyalgia and irritable bowel syndrome.
If you wish to make an appointment with Dr Protheroe, please contact his secretary by email at email@example.com.
Dr Anna Kucharska MD, MRCPsych equivalent, PhD
Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist
Dr Anna Kucharska is a Consultant in Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist currently working as part of a multidisciplinary team treating a wide range of mental health difficulties for pre-school and school age children. She has more than 20 years’ experience in practicing psychiatry.
Dr Kucharska has responsibility for the assessment and treatment of children with complex mental health problems, particularly specialising working with children with Learning Disabilities and Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Eating Disorders. She is trained in diagnosing Autistic Spectrum Disorders using the diagnostic tools ADI-R and ADOS, is a trainer in the Cygnet programme which delivers training for parents with children with ASD, and recently became medical appraiser.
Dr Kucharska has a warm and engaging manner and a wealth of experience and we are delighted to be working with her.
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Learning Disabilities
- Childhood ADHD/ADD
- Anxiety & Stress
- Bipolar Affective Disorder
- Medication reviews
- Fears & Phobias
- School Problems
- School Exclusions & Expulsions
- Associate Specialist RC Psych
- GMC registration 4595363
- British Medical Association
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Member of National Autistic Society (NAS)
- Family Therapy
- Solution Focus Therapy
We offer a comprehensive assessment package designed to enable parents, carers, young people and other professionals to gain a better understanding of a child’s needs.
The child is central throughout the process and as such we endeavor to put their needs first.
Following the assessment and diagnosis where appropriate, a comprehensive report is compiled which includes advice and strategies pertinent to the child.
Our team comprises of highly experienced professionals including:
- Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
- Consultant Clinical Psychologist
- Speech and Language Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
The comprehensive ASD assessment will include the following services:
- Screening questionnaires will be sent to the family before the
assessment is commenced
- Families will attend an initial appointment with Dr Anna Kucharska Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist in order to obtain both a medical and family history of the child.
- This will take approximately 90 minutes and will determine if the child should have a full ASD assessment
- A detailed early years developmental history will be conducted by will be conducted by Dr Anna Kucharska. This will take approximately 90 minutes.
- An Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2) will be performed by Dr Shripati Consultant Clinical Psychologist
A speech, language and social communication assessment will be administered by Annette Smith, Independent Speech and Language Therapist. The assessments are dependent upon the age of the child and include standardised tests, informal assessment and observation.
An Occupational Therapy assessment will be conducted by Jayne Murray, Occupational Therapist. This will include a
home and school visit assessing fine motor, sensory processing difficulties and access to childhood occupations.
Assessments often include joint professional working. This enables professionals to work together to formulate a professional opinion on a child’s strengths and areas of need as well as reducing
On completion of the assessment, a multi-disciplinary diagnostic decision will be made.
The child’s parents or carers will then attend an appointment where the outcome of the assessment is discussed with them and a comprehensive assessment report is provided.
Please note that a cognitive assessment is occasionally indicated and this can be arranged for an additional fee.
The cost of assessments start at £2500. Any follow up appointments will be charged separately.
If you wish to make an appointment with Dr Anna Kurcharska, call The Tower Clinic on 0113 2672067.
DR MALIKAYIL SKARIA ALEXANDER CONSULTANT PSYCHIATRIST
– F.R.C.Psych. – The Royal College of Psychiatrists (1997)
– M.R.C.Psych. – The Royal College of Psychiatrists (1975)
– D.P.M. – The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of United Kingdom (1974)
– M.B.B.S. – University of Kerala, India (1967)
– Consultant Psychiatrist, St. James University Hospital, Leeds (1979-2007)
– Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer in Psychiatry, University of Leeds (1979- 2007)
Mobile Phone: +44(0)7500058746
– Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
– Psychiatric aspect of any injury, disaster
– Psychiatric Medical Negligence
– Stress in place of work
– Fitness of employment or retirement on psychiatric grounds
– Mental Health Act 1983
– Any other relevant general adult psychiatric matter
– The Equality Act – 2010.
– Mental Capacity Act 2006
– Fraudulent Claims of Psychological origin
– Occupational Psychiatric problems
– Criminal Injuries Compensation claims
– Sexual abuse, assault and addiction behaviour.
Psychiatric Medico-Legal Practice
– Psychiatric Medico legal work acting on behalf of claimant or defendant of the claim by examining the claimant, reviewing evidence and submitting
expert reports. Attending case conferences and giving oral evidence in the court during the trial/hearing when required
– Member of Expert Witness Institute
– Member of the Faculty of Forensic Psychiatrist of The Royal College of Psychiatrists
– Approved under Section 12(2) of Mental Health Act 1983.
– Approved by the Mental Act Commission for the purpose of Part IV of the Mental Health Act 1983
– Trained by Bond Solon Training Ltd, the legal training consultancy – 2007
– Cardiff University Medico Legal training 10 th March 2008 – proved to be competent in Cross Examination; 3 rd December 2008 – passed Multiple
Choice Examination; 6 th March 2009 – proved to be competent in Report Writing – received “Expert Witness Certificate”, and 2017
– Attends County and High Court and is trained in report writing, court attendance, and single joint expert responsibilities, having completed the
necessary training relating to the Civil Procedure Rules.
– Member of Indian Psychiatric Society
– International Member of American Psychiatric Association Fee for the Service:
My fee is based on an hourly rate of £250.00 plus VAT, the actual fee depends on the number of hours I spend on a case. I can give an estimate of
fees after seeing the documents and before commencing my work on the case. I expect the fee to be settled within four weeks of submitting the reports.
My fee for attending the court per day is £1800 plus VAT. If there is a cancellation of the agreed court attendance with in 7 days of the scheduled
date, there will be a cancellation fee of 50% of my normal fees.
Instructing Solicitors/ Agencies
– Irwin Mitchell –Leeds, Sheffield
– Eversheds – Leeds, Cardiff
– Pannone – Manchester
– Hamers – Hull
– Patridge Allen – Walsall
– Langleys – York
– Silverbeck Rymer – Chelmsford
– Lloyd Green – Chelmsford
– Thompsons – Leeds
– Davies Lavery – Maidstone
– Hutchinson & Buchanan – Ripon
– Chadwick Lawrence – Huddersfield
– Ramsdons – Huddersfield
– Lupton Fawcett – Leeds
– Horwich Farrelly – Manchester
– Grant Brown Lindsay – Glasgow
– Wilson Browne – Leicester
– Baxter Caulfield – Huddersfield.
– Oliver & Co – Chester
– McCormicks – Leeds
– Scott Rees & Co- Skelmersdale
– Cogent – Bromley
– Abney Garsden Mc Donald – Cheadle Hulme
– Fieldings Porter – Bolton
– Godloves – Leeds
– Hill Dickinson – Liverpool
– Beachcrofts Wansbroughs – Leeds
– Fentons – Manchester
– M.D.D.U.S – London & Glasgow
– Treasury Solicitors – London
– Whitles – Leeds
– DWF – Liverpool
– Birchfields – Manchest
– Kevills – Chorley
– Morris & Co – Leeds
– Blacks – Leeds
– Halliwells – Liverpool
– Coles & Miller – Poole
– Keeble Hawson – Sheffield
– James Pearce & Co- Birmingham
– Glaisyers – Manchester
– Bartons – Lincolnshire
– Lonsdale – Blackpool
– Bartlett & Son – Liverpool
– John Collin & Partners – Swansea.
– Linden Myers
– Slater & Gordon – Manchester
– McAlinneys – Wakefield.
– General Dental Council
– MTA Solicitors – Bromley, Kent.
– Health Management Ltd
– Leeds City Council
– Crutes Law Firm – Newcastle upon Tyne
– Robinson Murphy – Newcastle Upon Tyne.
– Harrowells – York
– Emsleys – Leeds.
– Kennedys – Essex
– Warrings – Blackpool
– Horwich Farrelly – Manchester
– Andersons – Nottingham
– Ashfords – Exeter
– Berrymans Lace Mawer – Manchester.
– Wilkin Chapman – Grimsby
– Gordons – Leeds.
– Lupton Fawcett – Leeds.
For individual consultations I am able to offer appointments at short notice within one/two days at the Tower Clinic, Leeds. Please contact me directly and I will advise availability.
For medico/legal other enquiries, I intend to reply to instructions in a week, offering an appointment within two weeks of receiving the instructions. I can submit high quality; evidence based objective expert report within two weeks of examining the client provided I have all relevant documents at the time of examining the claimant.
If you wish to make an appointment with Dr Alexander, please call him on 075000 58746 or email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org